Trump in Clare….Where Next

http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/

Eric Trump on the new Doonbeg: “We can’t wait to add the Trump touch”

 

 Donald Trump and course designer Gil Hanse at last year's Blue Monster redesign announcement at Doral. Photo Eoin Clarke/www.golffile.ie

DONALD TRUMP AND COURSE DESIGNER GIL HANSE AT LAST YEAR’S BLUE MONSTER REDESIGN ANNOUNCEMENT AT DORAL. PHOTO EOIN CLARKE/WWW.GOLFFILE.IE

Now that Donald Trump has bought Doonbeg the question remains: What will the future hold? And will Doonbeg designer Greg Norman get the inevitable redesign gig?

According to our sources, the Shark has so far heard nothing from Trump about a possible revamp of the storm damaged links in Co Clare, now rebranded “Trump International Golf Links, Ireland.”

Even without the damage, it’s hard to imagine that Trump would leave the course untouched or miss the chance to use an asset of Norman’s stature to give the project even more publicity.

After all, he is investing $200 million in the Doral Resort in Miami and the first reviews of the course enhancements carried out  to the famous Blue Monster by Gil Hanse, the designer of the Olympic golf course in Rio de Janeiro, have been very positive.

Trump prides himself on improving the properties he buys and his son third eldest son Eric —Executive Vice-President of Development and Acquisitions — left the Clare People in no doubt about the Trump Organisation’s intentions when he gave the local paper an exclusive interview on Tuesday.

Emmet Moloney reported:

“We’re really excited about Doonbeg and can’t wait to add the Trump touch to what is already a true diamond of a world class hotel and golf course,” he told Editor of The Clare People Emmet Moloney on Tuesday….

“It will mean jobs and investment for Doonbeg. This is our 16th hotel and golf club and when The Trump Organization get involved in a project like this, our aim is to make it the best in the world. That’s what we will be doing in Doonbeg and we will have fun doing it too.

“We’re thrilled to have bought Doonbeg and we aim to invest a lot of money, adding the Trump touch with renovation and building. We buy assets and always make them better. That’s will be our plan for Doonbeg, which is already world class,” Eric said.

Fourteen handicapper Eric describes his father as “a scratch golfer” and a visit from The Donald himself can surely not be far away.

Whether he will be with Greg Norman remains to be seen.

How Irish are doing on Satellite Tours

Taken from http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/

First ace for Casey

 

Brian Casey in action at The European Club v the MGA last year. Picture Pat<br /><br /><br />
Cashman cashmanphotography.com

BRIAN CASEY IN ACTION AT THE EUROPEAN CLUB V THE MGA LAST YEAR. PICTURE PAT CASHMAN CASHMANPHOTOGRAPHY.COM

Headfort’s Brian Casey notched the first hole-in-one of his golfing life to give himself a chance of victory on the Gecko Pro Tour in Spain.

The Meath star, who cruised to his first professional victory in the Alps Tour Q–School before Christmas, holed a six-iron from 166 yards on the 17th at former Volvo World Match Play venue Finca Cortesin.

Thanks to his maiden ace, Casey opened with a three under 69 in the 36-hole mini tour event to go into the final round in solo second place, just one stroke behind leader James Robinson of England.

Casey could take home €2,000 for the win on a tour that pits top amateurs against seasoned professionals.

“It’s a great warm up for the Alps Tour, playing with ex tour pros and playing on good courses. I can’t wait to get going this season.”

Jeff Hopkins (72) is tied sixth with Simon Ward (74) back in 10th at Finca Cortesin where there were several other Irishmen in action. Scores

Casey has already made some cash on the Gecko Tour and will be in Egypt later this month for the first two events of the 2014 Alps Tour schedule.

Having failed to win his Alps Tour card, Alan Dunbar finished tied 30th in the eGolf Tour’s Citrus Open in Florida last week.

Meanwhile, at the halfway stage of the European Senior Tour’s Q-School in Portugal, Corkman John McHenry is still alive in the chase for six full cards and an additional seven conditional cards.

The former Director of Golf at The K Club added a level par 71 to his opening 72 to share 14th place, just two strokes outside the automatic qualifiers for full playing rights in 2014.

Former European Tour winner Andrew Murray shot a second successive two under par 69 at Pestana Golf Resort’s Pinta Course to lead on four under.

Castlemartyr based amateur John O’Brien, another Corkman, added a one over 72 to his opening 76 to share 42nd spot on six over

Dermot McElroy

From http://www.irishgolfdesk.com/
 

Magical McElroy hits the front in South Africa

 

Dermot McElroy is in great form in South Africa. Archive picture by Pat<br /><br />
Cashman / www.cashmanpotography.ie

DERMOT MCELROY IS IN GREAT FORM IN SOUTH AFRICA. ARCHIVE PICTURE BY PAT CASHMAN /WWW.CASHMANPOTOGRAPHY.IE

Ballymena’s Dermot McElroy built on a sensational start — five birdies in his first six holes — to post a brilliant 65 and snatch the halfway in the South African Amateur Strokeplay Championship.

Scoreboard

With tentative plans to turn professional after June’s British Amateur, the world No 53 fired eight birdies and just one bogey to lead by two strokes on 10 under par from Scotland’s Bradley Neil and South Africa’s Stefan Cronje at Benoni County Club in Johannesburg.

Dermot McElroy at last year's Interpros. Picture Pat Cashman /<br /><br />
cashmanphotography.ie

DERMOT MCELROY AT LAST YEAR’S INTERPROS. PICTURE PAT CASHMAN /CASHMANPHOTOGRAPHY.IE

Seven of the eight-strong Irish challenge made the two-over par cut for the top 70 and ties — Headfort’s Rory McNamara shot 74 to miss by one — but McElroy was the star of the show as he posted the joint low round of the day.

And the 20-year old did it with the help of a tour caddie, who proved to be invaluable.

According to the South African Golf Association, regular Sunshine Tour caddie Njabulo Myende carried his bag after his regular pro, Mikhail Tewary, crashed out of the Joburg Open qualifier.

“Mikhail’s loss is my good fortune,” McElroy said. “I struck the ball extremely well and my short game was on form, too, but when you have a caddie that can even read the spike marks, you pretty much can’t go wrong.”

After a birdie four at the opening hole, he then rattled off five threes in row with a birdie at the second followed by a par at the third and another three birdies in a row from the fourth.

Remarkably, his seven under par round yielded a haul of just one birdie from Benoni’s four par-fives.

Had he hit form around the turn it could have been an even more spectacular but after settling for par fives at the ninth and 10th, he followed a bogey at the 11th with another birdie hat-trick from the 12th.

 Ireland's Dermot McElroy took a two shot lead in the second round of the<br /><br />
SA Stroke Play Championship at Benoni Country Club. Picture credit: Dale<br /><br />
Boyce via http://www.saga.co.za

IRELAND’S DERMOT MCELROY TOOK A TWO SHOT LEAD IN THE SECOND ROUND OF THE SA STROKE PLAY CHAMPIONSHIP AT BENONI COUNTRY CLUB. PICTURE CREDIT: DALE BOYCE VIA HTTP://WWW.SAGA.CO.ZA

Four closing pars were not what he would have wanted but having ended up disappointed to finish joint fifth in the Free State Amateur in Bloemfontein, he is clearly finding South Africa to his liking.

West Waterford’s Gary Hurley is the next best of the Irish in joint ninth on five under after a four-birdie 70 with Moyola Park’s Chris Selfridge slipping from second overnight to tied 12th after adding a 74 to his first round 66.

Portmarnock’s Geoff Lenehan shot 70 to share 21st on three under with Naas’ Jack Hume also shot 70 to lie two shots further back on one under.

Balbriggan’s Robbie Cannon (75) and Mourne’s Reeve Whitson (73) had to battle to make the two over par cut on the mark.

But there was no luck for West of Ireland champion McNamara who paid a high price for a bogey at the 17th as he added a 74 to his opening 73.